Sunday, December 25, 2011

The Christmas Email

© Peter Sackett
Hi Vick,

We're at Locheilan. It's Christmas morning, and there was a spectacular tropical thunder storm last night. We could see it approaching before bed, coming over the hills near Violet Town. There were huge clusters of peach-coloured lightning. By 11pm it had reached us, and the thunder was great. One of the cows in the dairy didn't think so, and mooed in the dark. The lightning totally illuminated the house for a millisecond every half-minute or so.

We had planned to ride our bikes to Numurkah for a church service this morning, but the rain (I hope) and heat have spoiled that. I'd rather hang around here. Alison and I worked in the cheesery (I'm still not sure that's a real word) for a few hours last night, and that was fun. I got to smooth huge cylinders of bleu and then dip them in blood-red wax for the market, and then Alison and I brined big wheels of what would eventually become Camembert.

I brought GI Joe with me this trip-- two of my astronaut figures and a space capsule. When things dry out, I'll take them over to a small quarry nearby and photograph them. It looks like an alien landscape over there; the soil is a red-orange colour.

What are you up to?

Pete

No comments:

Post a Comment