Monday, November 21, 2011

The Inscription

When I returned from my workout this afternoon, the mailbox was overflowing. One parcel in particular caught my attention-- a large white envelope sent from the United States. My heart skipped a beat.

Wow.
I tore open the package to reveal what I'd requested only four weeks ago: a glossy, black-and-white photograph of the castaways from Gilligan's Island, inscribed to me by my favourite of the bunch, professor Roy Hinkley (Russell Johnson).

Mr. Johnson lives on Bainbridge Island, near Seattle. Having done some research on the Internet, I'd learned that he would sign photographs, provided his fans provided them, along with a return envelope with the required postage. I found an image on eBay I liked, bought it, and carefully assembled the package, including a brief, heartfelt letter to Mr. Johnson explaining how much I'd enjoyed his work on "Gilligan's Island". Not wanting to sound mawkish, I had three family members read the note to make sure it passed the "puke test"-- all safe there.

By all accounts I've read, Mr. Johnson is a swell guy-- even a war hero and a volunteer for AIDS research fundraising. To me, of course, he's a smart comic actor and a living reminder of some very pleasant childhood memories.

The inscription to me was a bonus; I didn't assume he'd personalise the photo. I'm delighted.


No comments:

Post a Comment